Wednesday 1 June 2011

My Daddy Cooks, My Daughter Cooks

Well, aren't we lucky girls?

It was such a huge thrill to be invited along to a special pizza-making event and book launch by the fabulous Nick Coffer aka My Daddy Cooks.  Ruby was excited because it involved a train journey (yay); messing about with food (yay) and eating pizza (double yay).

I was excited because it meant finally meeting Nick whose blogging and vlogging exploits I've been following for ages. We've chatted on twitter and I listen to him on my local radio station where he presents a great cookery and chat show. Finally I'd get to meet the guy who inspires me to roll my sleeves up with Ruby and make some mess in the kitchen.  His scrummy savoury muffins recipe was one of the first we made together, and was a godsend when ruby was refusing any form of vegetable matter.  I've adapted it to made lots of different varieties and it was a huge help when we had a courgette glut the size of an EU mountain to use up from the veg patch.




An added bonus was catching up with other bloggers such as Cafe Bebe and Feeding Boys and a Firefighter as well as finally meeting Maggy from Red Ted Art who, via twitter I already considered a friend.

The event was hosted at Fire and Stone in Covent Garden and was a huge hit.  The kids all got to make their own pizzas and dress up as chefs.  Instantly the hat was on, Ruby seemed to adopt the smouldering look and attitude of Marco Pierre White.


Despite how she looks, I assure you she did have fun. I guess it's just tough being a creative genius.



She'd obviously set herself very high standards, but finally she was happy with the recipe.


The proof, they say, is in the eating, and the end result was eaten with gusto.



I was pretty happy too when Nick presented us with a copy of his new book and signed it personally to us.  I know already that the book is going to be a firm favourite in the kitchen and not one of those recipe books that languishes gathering dust on the shelf.




It's packed with over 100 recipes which are all beautifully illustrated and with simple to follow instructions.  Showcasing family meals, rather than what I call 'nursery food' it is bound to broaden our culinary horizons.  Flicking through I've already got my eye on salmon and cream cheese filo parcels; lentil curry with cauliflower and Moroccan cod kebabs with minty lemon tabouleh.  Although, to be fair I suspect the first one I'm going to try has to be the peanut butter and chocolate brownies!

Nick's great homemade and healthier takes on the likes of BBQ ribs; fish and chips; pizza and crispy duck pancakes may even mean I abandon my beloved takeaways...

As well as the cool graphics, intimate domestic photographs and delicious recipes, ultimately it's a completely user friendly cook book.  Featuring many one-pot dishes and recipes which create wholesome food fast it's perfect for any family. The fun that Nick and his son Archie have together in the kitchen is self-evident and for this reason alone I'd say it's a must-buy.

Thinking about it, what better Father's Day gift... might even mean I get a few meals cooked for me!



Huge thanks to Nick for inviting me along and for being the perfect host. x

Disclosure: I attended the pizza making event and received a goody bag and a copy of the book. However, there was no obligation for me to promote the book, and I do so of my own volition. All views expressed are my own.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE THE POUT!!! IT IS SOOOOO COOL! May my daughter never pout like that!

    And I agree: the day was fab, it was FAB to meet everyone and Nick's book is BRILLIANT (we already made the marble cake)

    Maggy x
    PS Didn't I take a good pic of you and Nick... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great day out and I bet it was lovely to meet Red Ted Art, Cafe Bebe and Feeding Boys and a Firefighter bloggers as well. Your little one would enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete