Wednesday 16 April 2014

Reduce and recycle your Easter egg packaging with Sainsbury's

My biggest complaint every Easter is the excessive packaging.  Of the Sainsbury's own brand eggs we tried, I have to say that the boxes weren't oversized, there wasn't the usual copious amount of plastic packaging, but what pleases me also is Sainsbury's announcement that they are introducing an Easter Egg Packaging Recycling scheme - much in the same way they recycle Christmas cards.


Paul Crewe, Sainsbury’s head of sustainability, engineering, energy & environment, said the supermarket was the first to offer Easter egg packaging recycling.
“Recycling is an important part of Sainsbury’s environmental commitment which we’re taking further than ever – sending zero operational waste to landfill and putting our minds to new and engaging schemes to help even more customers and colleagues recycle.”
The recycling facilities can be used to recycle all elements of Easter egg packaging – including plastic, film, card, foil and ribbon.
If like me you're still not organised for Easter, fear not because your local Sainsbury's has plenty of treats in store.

From Easter egg for the kids, right through to decadent luxury ones you won't want to share, you'll be spoilt for choice.


These milk chocolate eggs with either jelly beans;chocolate jazzies or strawberry belts are currently only £3 for 3.
Disclosure: we were sent a selection of Easter products from Sainsbury's to try.

14 comments:

  1. That's a great idea - I hope it is a success and people will make use of it. I hate excessive packaging too. Happy Easter to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea!! I have noticed a distinct lack of plastic in the eggs this year, which is great to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish this was all year round as many things have those plastic trays, fruit and veg quite often but toiletry gift set packing is a sod. Yes it looks better but our council won't touch the plastic shaped box inserts, only bottles! It drives me cuckoo as I try to recycle or reuse but the facilities just aren't there. :-/ Well done Sainsburys! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pleased to see most eggs coming without the plastic now, although all that cardboard needs to be recycled rather than chucked in the bin

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good idea! I also hate the sheer amount of packaging that comes with eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so behind with egg buying - crazy considering I'm actually off work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely something that annoys me - but looks like a fantastic idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Recycling is sooo important.. even more important however is to "reduce" what we use in the first place. Would be great to see Easter Eggs with LESS packaging in the first place (sorry, will get off my bandwagon now)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well that sure is a good idea, the girls use most of our boxes fro junk modelling so I'm glad they get used twice before going in the recycling anyway. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes, lovely to keep it simple, I was in another supermarket yesterday and I have to say the sight of all the overpackaged eggs being unloaded made me feel sick on lots of levels!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate that too... I think the UK is one of the few places that do these massive Easter egg boxes, I haven't seen them anywhere else...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great idea, we were only talking about this the other day. Glad to see a big supermarket taking the lead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete