Tuesday 3 June 2014

Liven up mealtimes with OXO shake & flavour

I don't know about you, but I often get stuck in a rut with family meals, rotating the same old dishes every week because I know they're meals that everyone enjoys.

I'm lucky that none of us are particularly fussy, but even so, we all have individual tastes so sometimes heavily seasoned foods can just be a mealtime nightmare.

Like most parents, I'm also short on time and need to be able to rustle something up quickly after school.  I don't have time for hours and hours of marinating and faffing.

So when we were asked to try the new OXO Shake and Flavour range, I knew that they'd help me with both of these problems.  They are a quick and easy way to make your food more flavoursome, liven up old classics and encourage a bit of experimentation in the kitchen!

Because you can use the granules either in cooking or as a seasoning after cooking, it means that each of us can easily vary the intensity of flavour, so it's perfect for family mealtimes.


OXO Shake and Flavour comes in a handy jar with flip top lids with both a pour option (great for adding to cooking) or a sprinkle option (great for final seasoning).


I used the Chinese variety to add some mealtime magic to our tuna steaks. Served with steamed pak choi and roasted sweet pepper and tomato, the warming aniseed and fennel flavours worked perfectly with the griddled fish.  



Today I've cooked some bulgar wheat for tonight's salad in some water seasoned with the Italian Shake and Flavour and it smells delicious now it's cooling. I'll be adding more sprinkles over some grilled halloumi and that's us set for another tasty supper tonight.

There's a whole range of flavours to try: Chicken, Beef, Garlic and Herb, Tikka, Chinese Style, Southern Fried (available in all supermarkets) and Italian (ASDA only) so why not give them a go?


Disclosure: This post is part of a BritMums project with OXO Shake & Flavour. Shake & Flavour seasoning granules can be sprinkled into food during cooking or before serving. Find out more about the Shake & Flavour varieties by checking out the OXO Facebook page.

14 comments:

  1. they sound like they were most definitely a hit.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your tuna steak idea! Must try that out, I have smoked cod for tonight might try the same :)
    Thanks for taking part in the BritMums OXO challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha! I'm on halloumi and fennel tonight - I might try your bulghar wheat idea with that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sounds fab! I will be looking for these next time I go to the supermarket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They sound like a good idea, I get so bored of eating the same things week in week out- I need to get out of a food rut!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmm i have not eaten tuna steaks in ages - too long infact. looks delcious . it is very easy to get stuck in a mela time rut especially with fussy eaters who won't try new things x

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love ours. The garlic and herb turns a bag of small potatoes into something really scrummy in about two seconds!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh i miss my oxo! I need to remember to get husband to bring me some xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. They sound amazing I will definitely have to try them

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm coming to your house for dinner! I don't cook fish enough but this looks like an easy way of adding new flavours to a favourite dish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love the look of this, anything for jazzing up my food on a regular basis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Steamed Pak Choi ooh, you had me at that line! I love these, I am always up for ways to liven up a meal quickly and easily.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh yum, everyone round to yours for dinner tonight! Can you do that lovely tuna dish again please?

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks very healthy and rather delicious. xx

    ReplyDelete